Dare to explore: 3 day itinerary
Dare to explore – 3 days itinerary
Leave the resort in direction of the city of Ponta Delgada
- Travel to Covoada, stop at Pico do Carvão viewpoint where you can see the peaks region. From here it is possible to observe the narrowest part of the island between the north and south coast, with just 8km.
- Visit the Empadadas little lakes after passing the old aqueduct.
- Stop at Gruta do Inferno/Canário Lake viewpoint. Here you can follow a little trail that leads to one of the most iconic viewpoints of the island. From this point, it is possible to have a different perspective of the volcanic crater of Sete Cidades.
- Next stop – Vista do Rei (the King’s View). This is one of the most well-known viewpoints of the island; as the name indicates it was a viewpoint named for the last king of Portugal, with view of the blue and green lakes. At this viewpoint, you will find the Monte Palace hotel that was closed to the public in 1991 and then abandoned. Caution: this hotel is currently private property, although in ruins, and any visitors are warned that visits to the interior are considered dangerous.
- Go down in direction to parish of Sete Cidades. On the way down you will find 2 viewpoints, where you can stop (Cerrado das Freiras and Santiago lake).
- Cross the bridge between the lakes and stop close to the lakes. Optional: small detour to the tunnel on the side of the blue lake.
- Leave the parish in the direction of Várzea. Stop at Mosteiros, the western most part of the island. This is a fishing village, where you can see some natural ocean swimming pools and another the island's black sand beaches. Leave Mosteiros in direction of Ferraria*. On the way, stop at Escalvado viewpoint, where there is a view of Mosteiros (right side) and Ferraria (left side).
- Return to Ponta Delgada by the south coast. Optional Geoturism: visit Gruta do Carvão (volcanic cave) to see the underground geological formations (entrance fee).
- Stop in the capital. Here you can walk around the typical narrow roads in the city centre, observe the architecture of the old buildings, visit the local market or some of the gardens: António Borges, Palácio de Sant’Ana (entrance fee) and José do Canto (entrance fee).
- Visit the Azorean pineapple plantation in Fajã de Baixo.
- Cross São Roque and Milicias beaches in direction of the city of Lagoa. Optional: stop at the Vieira ceramic factory
Return to the resort.