Santa Bárbara Sustainability Policy
During the 1st quarter of 2020, Santa Bárbara hired a sustainability audit service from a reference company specialized in this field, whose diagnosis was translated into a plan for implementing measures and policies, namely:
- Reduction of electricity consumption / reduction of GHG emissions - Elaboration and implementation of procedures and installation of equipment for saving electricity in different areas (Housekeeping, kitchen, maintenance and offices).
- Waste separation and waste reduction to landfill by 20%
Development of the signage action plan based on the 5 R's principle (rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle, repair. This action plan includes the reevaluation of the LER codes assigned to the waste produced in accordance with the rules of the Portuguese Environment Agency and Regional Secretariat for Energy, Environment and Tourism of the Azores, for waste classification).
Part of the organic waste produced will be sent for composting. The compost produced is used in the farm that will supply the resort with fruits, vegetables and aromatic herbs.
- Implementation of a sustainable purchasing policy
In order to avoid waste, preference for purchasing certified local and national products of sustainable origin and fair trade, elimination of single-use items, use of ecological cleaning products for disinfecting surfaces, among others.
- Valorization of human capital and raising awareness of sustainability
Training, periodic meetings to constantly improve the sustainability policy implemented.
- Guest involvement in the unit's sustainable policy
Raising awareness of the theme by encouraging good practices throughout the stay. Development of sustainable packages / activities that include walking and / or cycling trips in the surroundings, agricultural activities in the future garden, activities to explain the composting process, beach cleaning, development of nature tourism activities (eg bird watching, terrestrial ecology), through the establishment of partnerships with local associations / NGOs.