SANTA BÁRBARA Sustainability Policy
During the first quarter of 2020, SANTA BÁRBARA contracted a specialized firm to conduct an audit to analyze and develop a sustainability action plan, that resulted in:
● Reduction of electrical consumption / GHG emissions - the elaboration and implementation of procedures, as well as the installation of equipment, to conserve electrical usage among various areas of the complex (that included housekeeping, kitchen, maintenance and administration).
● Waste separation and waste reduction to landfill by 20% - the development of a signage action plan, based on the “5 R's” principle: rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle and repair. This included the reevaluation of the LER codes assigned to waste produced osnite, in accordance with the rules on waste classification by the Portuguese Environment Agency and Azorean Regional Secretariat for Energy, Environment and Tourism).
● Composting - organic waste produced at SANTA BÁRBARA is sent for composting, then reused in the organic farm as biomass for the cultivation of fresh fruits, vegetables and aromatic herbs.
● Implementation of a sustainable purchasing policy - in order to avoid waste, there is a mindful preference for the purchase of certified local and national products from fair trade and sustainable origins, the elimination of single-purpose items and the use of ecological cleaning products for disinfecting surfaces, among others.
● Valorization of human capital and raising awareness of sustainability - the implementation of training programs and the scheduling of periodic meetings to constantly improve on the sustainability policies that have been implemented.
● Guest participation in sustainability policies - raising awareness and encouraging good practices throughout visitors’ stay; the development of sustainable packages/activities, that include walking and/or cycling trips, agricultural activities in the organic farm, explanation of the composting process, beach-cleaning and eco-tourism activities (such as bird-watching or terrestrial ecology), as well as the establishment of partnerships with local associations/NGOs.